SCI Long Term Volunteering
Find a Project - SCI Long Term Project Database
Every 2 months SCI branches and partners worldwide update their vacancies on the new SCI Long Term Project Database Some of the projects come under the European Voluntary Service programme but many are open to all volunteers.
What kind of projects?
There are a wide variety of projects each year, e. g.
- Working in a centre for refugees in Switzerland
- Helping with activities at a centre for young deaf people near Warsaw
- Working in a centre for learning disabled adults in Vermont
- Working in a youth centre in Paris for disadvantaged youth
- Working in an environmental / conservation project near Milan
What can I expect?
Although no two projects are the same, the volunteer can expect the following:
- A contract with a detailed job description, working hours, free time etc
- Useful work and special training where necessary
- Food and accommodation will be provided
- Insurance cover
- Some projects offer pocket money
What are the costs?
- We ask volunteers to become a member of VSI and to pay a project fee with their application
- Volunteers cover travel costs to/from the project
- Volunteers receive free food and accommodation during the project
- On many projects volunteers receive pocket money
Our staff will meet with each volunteer, and together with the volunteer they will organise an appropriate preparation and orientation programme for all aspects of their volunteer project. This includes:
- meeting with former long term volunteers
- visits to similar projects in their locality
- learning the local language of the project
- practical issues - insurance, finances, visas, health etc
How to apply
Go to application forms and procedures and follow the simple instructions.
Volunteer stories from the Long Term Volunteer & European Voluntary Service Programmes
- "We are what we do" - EVS in Spain Poverty and social injustice, Community life
- A Word From Sarah - ESC in France Read about some of the amazing actions and initiatives Sarah has taken during her ESC project
- Accessibilty and working at Grenzenlos NGO in Austria volunteering opportunities for people with disabilities
- An amazing time volunteering in Tirana
- An Interview with VSI's ESC Volunteer, Senka Read the conversation between Maria and Senka about her experience working with VSI
- Animal rescue centre in Belgium Environment protection
- Campaign for Universal Nuclear Disarmament in Belgium Peace and disarmament
- Education and Employment Options in the European Union for Young People - Amy Collins Watch Amy discuss her volunteering experience and more!
- Education and Employment Options in the European Union for Young People - Maria Conte Watch Maria discuss her volunteering experience as an in-country ESC volunteer with VSI and more!
- ESC in a centre for the recovery and research of wild animals Volunteering on a long term EU funded project in Olhão, Portugal
- EVS in Ireland 2014 Volunteers, volunteers, volunteers
- Exchanging experiences from Honduras and Ireland, 2018
- Festivals, PR and Theatre in Austria Art, culture and local history
- Helping to achieve Sustainable Development Goal: 5 through an ESC project Read all about Sarah's project and how she helps achieve gender equality through volunteering
- Kids 4 Peace in Jerusalem Global youth work
- La ‘Ferme des Enfants’, France Climate and sustainable lifestyle, Children and youth
- Learning Centre for Roma Minorities in Kosovo Refugees, immigrants and ethnic minorities, Children and youth
- Municipal youth service in Brovst, Denmark Children and youth
- My EVS in the Netherlands
- My EVS project in Albania: first impressions
- My EVS project in Belarus
- My EVS project in Finland
- My EVS project with PVN Albania
- My EVS project with Tools for Solidarity (Northern Ireland)
- Notes of a short-term EVS in Albania
- Organising Events in Slovenia Art, culture and local history, Children and youth
- Projects of Inspiration - Sarah Browne Watch Sarah discuss some of her personal projects and initiatives that she's started while volunteering in France!
- Reflections on Human Connection in a Disconnected World Read Maria's personal reflections on connecting with others during Covid times and managing stress
- Sarah's ESC experience in France
- Short-term EVS in Albania, 2018 Personal reflections
- Street Children in Perm, Russia Children and youth, Poverty and social injustice
- Teaching and Youth Work in Slovenia Working in a Youth Centre and Teaching English in Slovenia
- Teaching English in Bosnia and Herzegovina Working with vulnerable children - EVS in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Teaching in Germany Children and youth
- Volunteering experience at PVN Albania Volunteering on a long term EU funded project in Tirana
- Volunteering in the Time of Corona - Marisa's ESC Experience in Portugal
- Volunteering with Alter Ego Youth Centre What does it mean to be an EVS volunteer?
- Volunteering with the Roma National Council Nancy-Jane Carragher on the EVS project in Croatia
- VSI Step Up EVS project
- Watch Sarah discuss her ESC project in France! Discover what Sarah does while volunteering at a Youth Information Point
- What does it mean to host EVS/ESC volunteers? From the perspective of a hosting organisation
- What's it like finishing your ESC project online? Read Marie-Clare's personal experience of finishing her ESC online due to COVID-19
- When a VSI volunteer speaks on the Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ Radio 1 Listen to Amy's journey from leaving school early to starting university after volunteering abroad
- Winter Season In Tbilisi EVS in Georgia
- Working for Human rights in Moldova Antiracism, antifascism, remembrance, Poverty and social injustice
- Working in a Youth Centre and Teaching English in Slovenia
- Working in an all-female office Working in the VSI office has offered the unique but wonderful experience of being a part of an all-female (superhero) team.
- Working with children and young people in ARTICO centre - EVS in Moldova
- Working with young people in conflict with the law in Belarus