Killarney National Park
Help with Woodland Conservation
In the oldest Irish National Park
@Photos by Eliška šestáková, Belén Albor, Peter O'Toole
Since 2012, VSI has played a pivotal role in the fight against rhododendron in Killarney National Park through holding four, two-week summer volunteer projects annually. These summer projects attract volunteers from all over the world who are interested in this immensely important conservation work. Along with Conservation Rangers, including Peter O’Toole and Tim Cahalane, volunteers have used a variety of methods to help control the highly invasive and destructive Rhododendron ponticum. Volunteers have the opportunity to live within Killarney National Park itself, and work with a team to preserve natural Irish beauty.
This project offers volunteers an exciting opportunity to experience working in an extensive number of areas across the park while making a vital contribution to the conservation of key woodland habitats.
Dates of the Killarney NP projects for the season 2019:
- project: 16.06. - 29.06.
- project: 07.07. - 20.07.
- project: 28.07. - 10.08.
- project: 11.08. - 24.08.
Would you like to join our volunteers during the summer 2019? Just fill in the Killarney VSI Volunteer Projects Application form online or download the Application Form in Word document and send it back to us!
|VSI Project Fee||Waged||Unwaged/student|
|Projects in Ireland||€85||€55|
The project fee covers:
- Administration costs involved in your placement
- Your participation in the volunteer pre-departure training before the project
- Health insurance while taking part in the project
- Membership of VSI for one year
Our volunteer projects have the following key features:
- Food and accommodation are free
- Leisure and free time can be enjoyed after the day’s work and during the weekends
You can read about the project fees on our website here.
Would you like to…
- develop team management and refine your leadership skills?
- experience an amazing adventure with a group of international volunteers (+18)?
- contribute to building understanding among people from different cultures and nationalities?
You should consider being a Volunteer Project Coordinator for our Killarney project!
The Coordinator's role involves volunteering with a group of Irish and international volunteers in Killarney National Park for 2 weeks during the summer. The Project Coordinator will help volunteers settle in, organise the group on a daily basis, support good group dynamics, promote intercultural exchange and help organise free-time activities as well as educate volunteers on VSI’s values and topics such as environmental protection through non-formal education methods. VSI provides trainning before and support during and after the project. Coordination of a project with accommodation, food and travel expenses to and from the volunteering site is covered (within Ireland).
Requirements for Project Coordinators
- Over 21
- Have some volunteering experience
- Good communication and organisation skills
- Enthusiasm and positive attitude
- Experience of working with international groups or running workshops would be useful as well as knowledge and some experience in youth work or the voluntary and community sector.
For further information of the park please continue here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also watch a short video of our volunteers in Killarney National Park filmed by Eco Eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1zJrWpCKY