Environmentally Aware - SEEDS Iceland is back with another online project!
30 Sep 2021
SEEDS Iceland is back by popular demand with another online project!
28 December 2021 - 06 January 2022
Volunteers needed: 2
Topic: Climate and sustainable lifestyle
Introduction: The changes connected to COVID-19 have posed new challenges to all of us. Many International Volunteer Projects had to be cancelled, volunteers who were excited to work in an intercultural group in a foreign country could not make it to their projects and many of us were forced to stay within our own four walls for months. However, not only bad things came out of this. During the lockdowns SCI organisations started to host virtual/online volunteer projects and learnt that online meetings are a great way of connecting with people all across the world and promoting our ideals and environmental awareness, even without meeting physically.
This is your chance to see how this works in practice - join this virtual environmental project organised by the VSI partner organisation SEEDS in Iceland!
Description: SEEDS project coordinators will be creating opportunities for you to focus on different current environmental and sustainability issues through a selection of workshops and activities online. One of the aims is to help create more environmentally aware consumers & travellers. During this project participants can share their love for (and learn more about) global & local environmental topics such as: climate change, waste management, sustainable solutions & other environmental topics. There will also be sessions on everyday eco-friendly habits, Iceland-related environmental issues and presentations about the effects of tourism and slow-travel tips, the problems of the fashion industry and clothes upcycling tips, climate change, permaculture and urban agriculture. There will also be fun and interesting environmental quizzes and documentaries.
The sessions they offer include but are not limited to:
- Plant-based Cooking & Baking Classes
- Fun Environmental Quiz
- Eco Friendly Cleaning Products Tips
- DIY Selfcare Products Workshop
- Conscious Consumerism Workshop
This is a learning/sharing project, so they encourage everyone to share their knowledge and ideas and participate actively in this learning process.
Time Commitment: There will be maximum of three hours of zoom every day of the project (except one ‘zoom free’ weekend day) and one small daily challenge that you can complete in your own time. The times for the zoom sessions will be finalised closer to the start of the project and will be agreed between participants to accommodate all participants’ time zones.
English: conversational skills are required.
Availability: Please note that there is limited availability for online projects, so we allocate these places on a first come, first served basis.
- You need to be a member of VSI to participate in this project. If you’re not yet a member, it’s easy to sign up - you can read more about membership here, complete the membership form, and pay the membership fee on this link (€20 for unwaged individuals, €40 for waged individuals). If you want to participate in one of our online projects but you are unable to pay the VSI membership fee, please let VSI know in confidence by emailing email@example.com so we can help you to take part in the project
- You'll need a laptop, camera and microphone and good internet connection for the project.
- Participants must attend at least 80% of the activities and complete the assignments in order to receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the project.
- You'll need to send a motivation letter (just a short paragraph) to firstname.lastname@example.org stating why you are interested in joining the project.
- Finally, you'll need to fill out the application form below: