Join VSI’s online ‘Youth for Climate Justice’ project!
8 Jun 2021
VSI is looking for young people aged 18-25 to take part in their online project. From 26-30 July, participants will meet on Zoom in the morning for interactive and informal workshops on climate justice. Participants will use this learning to create a social media campaign on climate justice which will be shared by VSI. Participants will also be supported by VSI to organise and facilitate their own climate justice workshop for VSI volunteers in August/September. We're looking for participants who care about climate justice and want to learn more!
VSI’s ‘Youth for Climate Justice’ Project
Project dates: 26 - 30 July
VSI's online 'Youth for Climate Justice' project will bring together a small group of young people to learn about climate justice and how we can help to achieve it. We hope to empower young people with the knowledge, skills and confidence to advocate for climate justice. The project will be facilitated by two of VSI's young full-time volunteers, Maria and Aine.
We'll look at the climate crisis from a human-centred perspective, focusing on the inequalities created by climate change, nationally and globally, and recognising climate action as one part of broader action towards reducing inequalities and poverty, and creating a better future for all.
Over five days, the participants will learn about and discuss climate justice and activism through interactive and informal online workshops on Zoom. Participants will also work together to create a social media campaign to raise awareness of climate justice, which will be shared widely by VSI.
In August/September, interested participants will be supported by VSI to organise and facilitate their own climate justice workshop for VSI volunteers. Professional online facilitation training will be provided to these participants to help them deliver their workshop.
We're looking for participants who care about climate justice and want to learn more!
- Learn about climate justice
- Gain skills in communication, critical thinking, advocacy, campaigning and project management
- Receive a certificate to acknowledge the skills gained and hours spent on the project
- Learn how to take their 'next steps' in climate activism
- Meet other people who are passionate about climate justice and establish a network of young climate justice activists
After the project, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Complete an online facilitation skills training session and to facilitate their own climate justice workshop
- Attend a guest speaker session on EU volunteering opportunities related to climate justice
- Be 18-25 yrs/old
- Be living in Ireland
- Commit to participating fully throughout the project
- Attend a quick informal zoom interview (one to one) during the week of the 5th of July
- Have access to a smartphone, tablet or laptop
- (VSI can provide financial support to participants to ensure they have internet connection during the project if needed)
The project will run from 26 - 30 July 2021.
The group will meet on Zoom for 3 hours every morning (with a short break), from 10:00 - 13:15. Participants must attend 100% of the Zoom sessions.
There will be no Zoom session on 29 July but participants will be working together from around 10:00 - 13:15 to create their social media campaign.
Participants are encouraged to do a little follow-up reading/watching on issues raised in the Zoom sessions in their own time (around 30 mins per day).
For more information and to apply, click here.