Environmentally Aware - online projects with SEEDS Iceland
8 Feb 2021
Because of high demand, several projects have been arranged - you can choose the time that suits you best!
25 May - 02 June 2021 = CANCELLED
Volunteers needed: 2 per project
Introduction: The changes connected to COVID-19 have posed new challenges to all of us. Many International Volunteer Projects had to be cancelled, volunteers who were excited to work in an intercultural group in a foreign country could not make it to their projects and many of us were forced to stay within our own four walls for months. However, not only bad things came out of this. During the lockdowns SCI organisations started to host virtual/online volunteer projects and learnt that online meetings are a great way of connecting with people all across the world and promoting our ideals and environmental awareness, even without meeting physically.
This is your chance to see how this works in practice - join this virtual environmental project organised by the VSI partner organisation SEEDS in Iceland!
Description: SEEDS project coordinators will be creating opportunities for you to focus on different current environmental and sustainability issues through a selection of workshops and activities online. One of the aims is to help create more environmentally aware consumers & travellers. During this project participants can share their love for (and learn more about) global & local environmental topics such as: climate change, waste management, sustainable solutions & other environmental topics. The topics explored in the sessions are decided based on the interests and experiences of the participants and camp leaders. There will be two to three different sessions each day.
The sessions they offer can include:
- everyday eco-friendly habits
- plant-based and vegetarian cooking & baking classes
- eco-friendly cleaning products
- DIY selfcare products
- conscious consumerism
- repurposing old items
- introduction to Iceland and environmental issues in Iceland
- environmental impact of tourism and slow-travel tips
- environmental impact of fast fashion and upcycling tips
- climate science and engaging with climate deniers
- permaculture and urban agriculture
- fun environmental quiz
- interesting environmental documentaries
This is a learning/sharing project, so they encourage everyone to share their knowledge and ideas and participate actively in this learning process.
Time Commitment: There will be maximum of three hours of zoom every day of the project (except one ‘zoom free’ weekend day) and one small daily challenge that you can complete in your own time. The times for the zoom sessions will be finalised closer to the start of the project and will be agreed between participants to accommodate all participants’ time zones.
English: Conversational skills are required.
Availability: Please note that there is limited availability for online projects, so we allocate these places on a first come, first served basis.
- You need to be a member of VSI to participate in this project. If you’re not yet a member, it’s easy to sign up - you can read more about membership here, complete the membership form, and pay the membership fee on this link (€20 for unwaged individuals, €40 for waged individuals).
- You'll need a laptop, camera and microphone and good internet connection for the project.
- Participants must attend at least 80% of the activities and complete the assignments in order to receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the project.
- You'll need to send a motivation letter (just a short paragraph) to email@example.com stating why you are interested in joining the project.
- Finally, you'll need to fill out the application form below.
Note: There is no project fee for this project, but you are welcome to support SEEDS' work financially on a voluntary basis.