Volunteering in SCI office in Catalunya
EU-FUNDED VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITY for Irish residents aged 18-30
SCI Catalunya is a Catalan branch of VSI working on internatioanal volunteering and peace education. They are now looking for an Irish volunteer for a project starting in September 2019 for a period of 12 months (until September 2020).
About the organization
Born in 1982, SCI Catalunya works to promote peace and social justice, with an international perspective. They are an active and dynamic organization: every year they organize 10 local intrnational volunteer projects, where almost 150 volunteers from other countries are placed and hosted, and they send and support around 300 local volunteers to participate in other volunteer projects abroad. They also recruit and prepare volunteers for long term EVS/ESC volunteering projects, International Youth Exchanges and for seminars and trainings. SCI Catalunya coordinate various groups of local volunteers to support awareness raising actions in the area.
SCI Catalunya is composed of a team of 7 workers. Every day, you would be working at the office with them.
Your tasks would inculde the following :
◦ support the Volunteers Placement Officers for Incoming or Outgoing volunteers.
◦ Providing information to local people who want to participate in Internatioanl Volunteer Projects, collecting and sending their application forms and keeping in contact with the local volunteer hosting associations.
◦ Providing information about other volunteering opportunities, such us Long Term Volunteering (LTV) or EVS/ESC.
◦ Taking part in the organization of trainings and preparation for the volunteers who are going abroad.
◦ Participating in local working groups and their activities.
◦ Follow up and support in local and international activities: trainings, talks, meetings…
◦ During the summer, the volunteers will have the opportunity to directly coordinate a local Internatioanl Volunteer Projects.
Ca l’Elna is a self-managed flat located 20 minutes away by feet from the office. It belongs to SCI Catalunya and its purpose is to serve both as a
place of accomodation and a space to work and host international projects. Ca l’Elna will be your home during your year in Barcelona. It has a private part for the 2 EVS volutneer that is composed of one room for each volunteer, one bathroom, you will be sharing the kitchen with other volunteers who will come.
As you will be living in the flat the whole year, you will be expected to :
- Ensure everything is ready to host people (make sure everything works well and that it is clean)
- Host the volunteers/activits that will be coming in the flat (getting in touch with them before their
arrival, explaining them and showing them the flat)
What you will NOT be expected to do :
- Take care of the organization when the groups/volunteers are in Ca l’Elna.
- Cook for them
- Be with them all the time of their stay.
Good level of Spanish and English and good writing skills. Basic knowledge of Catalan is also valued, but not compulsory before the arrival.
The volunteer will be asked to learn Catalan during her/his stay, as it will be the main language in the office and the activities organized with and for local volunteers.
Other valued skills are: flexibility, sense of responsibility, self-initiative and the ability of working in a team.
Previous experience in other VSI/SCI branches, Internatioanl Volunteer Projects, youth exchanges or international trainings/seminars will be also considered.
◦ Accommodation and Food: SCI Catalunya will give you a monthly allowance for food.
◦ Pocket money: € 150 per month
◦ Schedule: The volunteers are expected to work 6 hours a day, 5 days per week, but may be asked to work on weekends for special activities. Free days/ time off in lieu will be given as a compensation.
If you are interested in this project, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th January 2019. Please indicate the name of the project you are applying for on the subject of the e-mail. In addition, please complete the form on the following link:
The European Voluntary Service (EVS) is an EU funded programme that gives young people (aged 18 to 30) the opportunity to volunteer in an organisation abroad. The funding covers travel expenses to and from the project as well as accommodation, food, a small personal allowance (”pocket money”), insurance, language training and local transport during the project.