Dochas Code of Conduct on Images and Messages
VSI is a signatory to the Dochas Code of Conduct on Images and Messages
The core values of the Code of Conduct and Images are:
There are also seven guiding principles and in all our communications, we strive to:
- Choose images and related messages based on values of respect equality, solidarity and justice;
- Truthfully represent any image or depicted situation both in its immediate and in its wider context so as to improve public understanding of the realities and complexities of development;
- Avoid images and messages that potentially stereotype, sensationalise or discriminate against people, situations or places;
- Use images, messages and case studies with the full understanding, participation and permission of the subjects (or subjects’ parents/guardian);
- Ensure those whose situation is being represented have the opportunity to communicate their stories themselves;
- Establish and record whether the subjects wish to be named or identifiable and always act accordingly;
- Conform to the highest standards in relation to human rights and protection of the vulnerable people.
The Comhlámh Code of Good Practice (CoGP) for Volunteer Sending Agencies.
Voluntary Service international (VSI) is a signatory of the Comhlámh Code of Good Practice (CoGP) for Volunteer Sending Agencies. The Code is a set of standards for organisations involved in facilitating international volunteer placements in the global south.
[Linking to http://www.comhlamh.org/code-of-good-practice-2/ ]